CompTIA Network+ Certification (N10-006) FastTrack Study Guide
ALL you need to qualify with CompTIA’s latest Network+ certification exam
- Published January 2015, prepares for N10-006
- Fully-integrated with Professor Messer’s training videos
- CompTIA CAQC approved with an outstanding 5/5 Procert Labs score
- Over 200 exam practice questions included
- Available as Skillpipe eBook with instant activation
This Skillpipe eBook is for anyone wishing to qualify with the latest CompTIA Network+ Certification exam (N10-006). CompTIA Network+ is aimed at IT professionals with job roles such as network administrator, network technician, network installer, help desk technician and IT cable installer.
Professor Messer videos are fully integrated into the book with quicklinks taking you to video content that matches the section you are studying. This is unique and exclusive to gtslearning.
Skillpipe eReader gives browser or app-based access to the full content with full bookmarking and annotation features. Find out more about Skillpipe
An activation key to your Skillpipe content is emailed on purchase.
Content may be printed on a chapter-by-chapter basis for personal use only.
What should you know?
Ideally, you should have successfully achieved CompTIA A+ certification and have around 9-12 months’ experience of networking support or IT administration. It is not necessary that you pass the A+ exams before completing Network+ certification, but it is recommended.
Regardless of whether or not you have passed CompTIA A+, it is recommended that you have the following skills and knowledge before starting this course:
- Configure and support PC, laptop, mobile (smartphone/tablet), and print devices
- Know basic network terminology and functions (such as Ethernet, TCP/IP, switches, routers)
- Configure and manage users, groups, and shared resources in a simple SOHO network
- Understand the use of basic access control measures, such as authentication, security policy, encryption, and firewalls
Module 1: Topologies and Infrastructure
- Topologies and the OSI Model • Key Features of Networks • Clients and Servers • Network Topologies • The OSI Model • Physical Layer • Data Link Layer • Network Layer • Transport Layer • Upper Layers • OSI Model Summary
- Ethernet • Transmission Media • Signaling and Modulation • Media Access Control • Ethernet Frames • Legacy Ethernet Standards • Modern Ethernet Standards • MAC Addressing • Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) • Protocol Analyzers
- Hubs, Bridges, and Switches • Hubs and Bridges • Switches • Managing Switches • Switch Interface Configuration • Virtual LANs (VLAN) • Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) • Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Infrastructure and Design • Network Infrastructure Implementations • Planning an Enterprise Campus Network • Planning a SOHO Network • Planning an Industrial Control System • TCP/IP Protocol Suite
Module 2: Addressing and Routing
- Internet Protocol • Internet Protocol Address Format • Subnet Masks • ipconfig / ifconfig • IP Routing Basics • ICMP and ping
- IPv4 Addressing • IPv4 Addressing Schemes • Subnetting and Classless Addressing • Planning an IPv4 Addressing Scheme • Public Internet Addressing • Multicast and IGMP
- DHCP and APIPA • IPv4 Address Autoconfiguration • Configuring DHCP • Labs • Configuring DHCP Clients and Servers
- IPv6 Addressing • IPv6 Address Format • IPv6 Addressing Schemes • IPv6 Address Autoconfiguration • Migrating to IPv6
- Routing • Routing Basics • Routing Algorithms and Metrics • Routing Protocols • Administrative Distance and Route Redistribution • IPv4 and IPv6 Internet Routing • High Availability Routing • Installing and Configuring Routers • Routing Troubleshooting Tools
Module 3: Troubleshooting and Management
- Transport Protocols • Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) • User Datagram Protocol (UDP) • TCP/IP Ports • netstat
- Name Resolution • Host Names and FQDNs • Domain Name System (DNS) • Configuring DNS Servers • nslookup and nbtstat
- Troubleshooting • Troubleshooting Procedures • Identifying the Problem • Establishing a Probable Cause • Establishing a Plan of Action • Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues • Troubleshooting Configuration Issues • Troubleshooting Internetworking • Troubleshooting Services
- Applications and Services • TCP/IP Services • Web Services (HTTP / HTTPS) • File Transfer Services (FTP / TFTP / SMB) • Email Services (SMTP / POP / IMAP) • Voice Services (VoIP and VTC) • Real-time Services Protocols • Quality of Service • Packet Shapers • Load Balancers • Multilayer Switches
- Management and Monitoring • Performance Monitoring • Network Monitoring Utilities • Logs • Analyzing Performance Metrics • Simple Network Management Protocol • Remote Administration Tools
- Cloud and Virtualization • Virtualization Technologies • Storage Area Networks (SAN) • Cloud Computing
Module 4: Installation
- Network Sites • Wiring Distribution • Rack Systems • Safety and ESD • Power Management • Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) • Physical Security Controls • Fire Prevention and Suppression
- Installing Cable • Twisted Pair Cable (UTP / STP / ScTP) • Twisted Pair Connectors • Wiring Tools and Techniques • Cable Testing and Troubleshooting • Other Copper Cable Types • Fiber Optic Cable and Connectors • Interface and Media Converters • Troubleshooting Fiber Cable Issues
- Installing Wireless Networks • Wireless Standards (IEEE 802.11) • Wireless Network Topologies • Wireless Site Design • Site Surveys and Antenna Placement • Troubleshooting Wireless Links
- WAN Technologies • Wide Area Networks (WAN) • Telecommunications Networks • Modern Telecommunications Networks • Packet Switched WAN Services • Local Loop Services • Wireless WAN Services
- Remote Access • Remote Access Services (RAS) • Virtual Private Networks (VPN) • PPTP and SSL VPNs • IP Security (IPsec) • Remote Access Servers • Installing Remote Access Links • Troubleshooting WAN Issues
Module 5: Security
- Vulnerabilities and Threats • Security Basics • Social Engineering • Network Reconnaissance • Wireless Security • Network Attack Strategies • Denial of Service
- Security Appliances • Network Segmentation • Zones and Access Control Lists (ACL) • Network Address Translation (NAT) • Basic Firewalls • Advanced Firewalls • Proxies and Gateways • Anti-malware Software • Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS)
- Authentication • Authentication Technologies • Cryptographic Hash Functions • NTLM and Kerberos • RADIUS and TACACS+ • PAP, CHAP, and EAP • Wi-Fi Authentication • Endpoint Security • Network Access Control • Mobile Device Management • Troubleshooting Authentication and ACLs
- Incident Response • Business Continuity Concepts • Disaster Recovery Planning • IT Contingency Planning • Training • Incident Response Procedures • Forensic Procedures • Collection of Evidence
- Change and Configuration Management • Change and Configuration Management • Documentation • Procedures and Standards • Employee Policies • Patch Management • Backup Plans and Policies